May 14, 2015

Mother's Day. Whole Earth. Henna



Sunday, my mother and I decided to go on a mini adventure to the Davis and the Whole Earth Festival in honor of Mother's Day.


Brunch at Cafe Bernardo's (the Bernardo Benedict and Chilequiles people! YUM.)
Pottery.
Clothing.
Jewelry.
Terrariums.


Women in butterfly wings.
Music.


And henna! 


I got my first henna tattoo despite having been immersed in Arabic/Middle Eastern/Western Asian culture for the past three years. 


I went for a traditional mehendi featuring a lone peacock surrounded by dozens of exquisitely intricate peacock feathers thanks to the talented Lina of Henna Garden based out of San Francisco. 


I've been to the Whole Earth Festival only two times now, and I have enjoyed it both times. Despite the overwhelming number of people, it's a much more interesting, engaging, and low-key event in comparison with UC Davis's other big public event, Picnic day. 

The food is great. The local vendors are talkative. And the wares were varied and exuded artisanal qualities like homemade, detail, labor, and passion.

Seriously though, check it out next year. It's a great event that usually coincides with Mother's Day. My mom loved it. I'm sure yours will too!

So what were your plans for Mother's Day? The usual with ties, sundresses, suits, and tiny entrees? Or rocking some serious fun at a festival made for hippies and hipsters alike? Let me know!




6 comments:

  1. [img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7773/17076330504_fdd7c4fcf3_b.jpg[/img]

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8853/17846893413_12b7f0a5a9_b.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the lovely drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to get henna done! Looks so fun :)

    xo, mikéla / simplydavelyn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henna is very easy and can actually be purchased in ready-to-go tubes at craft stores like Michael's. Keep it moist with lemon/sugar water for two hours after application and have fun with it <3

      Delete